[What is AWStats]
[Documentation / FAQ]
What is AWStats
AWStats is a free powerful and featureful tool that generates advanced web, streaming, ftp or mail server statistics, graphically.
This log analyzer works as a CGI or from command line
and shows you all possible information your log contains, in few graphical web pages.
It uses a partial information file to be able to process large log files, often and quickly.
It can analyze log files from all major server tools like Apache log files (NCSA combined/XLF/ELF log format or common/CLF log format),
WebStar, IIS (W3C log format) and a lot of other web, proxy, wap, streaming servers, mail servers and some ftp servers.
Take a look at this comparison table for an idea on features and differences between most
famous statistics tools (AWStats, Analog, Webalizer,...).
AWStats is a free software distributed under the GNU General Public License. You can have a look at this license chart to know what you can/can't do.
As AWStats works from the command line but also as a CGI, it can work with all web hosting providers which allow Perl, CGI and log access.
Demo / Screenshots
You can browse AWStats demo (real-time update feature has been disabled)
to see a sample of most important information AWStats shows you...
A full log analysis enables AWStats to show you the following information:
* Number of visits, and number of unique visitors,
* Visits duration and last visits,
* Authenticated users, and last authenticated visits,
* Days of week and rush hours (pages, hits, KB for each hour and day of week),
* Domains/countries of hosts visitors (pages, hits, KB, 269 domains/countries detected, GeoIp detection),
* Hosts list, last visits and unresolved IP addresses list,
* Most viewed, entry and exit pages,
* Files type,
* Web compression statistics (for mod_gzip or mod_deflate),
* OS used (pages, hits, KB for each OS, 35 OS detected),
* Browsers used (pages, hits, KB for each browser, each version (Web, Wap, Media browsers: 97 browsers, more than 450 if using browsers_phone.pm library file),
* Visits of robots (319 robots detected),
* Worms attacks (5 worm's families),
* Search engines, keyphrases and keywords used to find your site (The 115 most famous search engines are detected like yahoo, google, altavista, etc...),
* HTTP errors (Page Not Found with last referrer, ...),
* Other personalized reports based on url, url parameters, referer field for miscellanous/marketing purpose,
* Number of times your site is "added to favourites bookmarks".
* Screen size (need to add some HTML tags in index page).
* Ratio of Browsers with support of: Java, Flash, RealG2 reader, Quicktime reader, WMA reader, PDF reader (need to add some HTML tags in index page).
* Cluster report for load balanced servers ratio.
AWStats also supports the following features:
* Can analyze a lot of log formats: Apache NCSA combined log files (XLF/ELF) or common (CLF), IIS log files (W3C),
WebStar native log files and other web, proxy, wap or streaming servers log files (but also ftp or mail log files). See AWStats F.A.Q. for examples.
* Works from command line and from a browser as a CGI (with dynamic filters capabilities for some charts),
* Update of statistics can be made from a web browser and not only from your scheduler,
* Unlimited log file size, support split log files (load balancing system),
* Support 'not correctly sorted' log files even for entry and exit pages,
* Reverse DNS lookup before or during analysis, support DNS cache files,
* Plugin for country detection from IP location (use geoip country database or client domain name),
* Plugin for city detection from IP location (use geoip city database),
* Plugins for US/Canadian Region , ISP and/or Organizations reports (require non free third product geoipregion, geoipisp and/or geoiporg database)
* WhoIS links,
* A lot of options/filters and plugins can be used,
* Multi-named web sites supported (virtual servers, great for web-hosting providers),
* Cross Site Scripting Attacks protection,
* Several languages. See AWStats F.A.Q. for full list.
* No need of rare perl libraries. All basic perl interpreters can make AWStats working,
* Dynamic reports as CGI output.
* Static reports in one or framed HTML/XHTML pages, experimental PDF export,
* Look and colors can match your site design, can use CSS,
* Help and tooltips on HTML reported pages,
* Easy to use (Just one configuration file to edit),
* Analysis database can be stored in XML format for XSLT processing,
* A Webmin module,
* Absolutely free (even for web hosting providers), with sources (GNU General Public License),
* Available on all platforms,
* AWStats has a XML Portable Application Description.
To use AWStats, you need the following requirements:
* Your server must log web access in a log file you can read.
* You must be able to run perl scripts (.pl files) from command line and/or as CGI (Perl 5.007003 or higher required to run AWStats 6.9 or higher).
If not, you can solve this by downloading last Perl version at ActivePerl (Win32) or Perl.com (Unix/Linux/Other).
See AWStats F.A.Q. to have examples of supported OS and Web servers.
Last stable version is 7.5 - 2016-04-29 12:08
Your Perl version must be at least 5.00503 (or higher) to use AWStats 6.x or higher.
See ChangeLog to know what's new and for information on compatibility with previous versions.
See Features for current features.
|Older release versions are
7.4 - 2015-07-15
7.3 - 2014-07-23
7.2 - 2013-07-09
7.1.1 - 2013-03-08
7.1 - 2012-12-01
7.0 - 2010-12-01
6.95 - 2009-10-28
6.9 - 2008-12-28
6.8 - 2008-07-20
6.7 - 2007-07-07
6.6 - 2006-12-23
6.5 - 2005-12-24
6.4 - 2005-03-16
6.3 - 2005-01-28
6.2 - 2004-11-06
6.1 - 2004-05-15
6.0 - 2004-04-18
1.0 - 2000-05-02 (first version)
|Some spec/build files used to build packages are here
|AWStats Webmin module|
Last stable version is 2.0 - 2014-01-02 01:24
|Older release versions are
1.9 - 2010-06-30
1.8 - 2009-10-28
1.7 - 2006-12-23
1.6 - 2005-12-24
1.5 - 2005-01-28
1.4 - 2004-11-06
1.3 - 2004-03-22
1.21 - 2004-03-22
1.0 - 2003-09-14 (first version)
Documentation / FAQ
If you need to know something about AWStats (features, setup, ...):
- Read seriously AWStats official documentation : HTML On line or PDF file (326KB)
For last security annoucements:
- See security report page.
If you need help:
- The first thing you have to do to solve a technical problem is to upgrade AWStats to last release version.
- Then you should read all the AWStats F.A.Q..
- If you still have problem, check on AWStats General FORUM (hosted by sourceforge).
Support AWStats / Donate
If you want to support AWStats development and encourage my work, you can:
- Purchase something from My Wish List at Amazon.com where I selected some stuff that I would like to have.
I'll appreciate a lot any gift from this list.|
- Make a donation via Paypal.|
This is the best way if you want to send me something cool. Thank you!
This is a list of all donors that allows me to made them public.
A big thanks goes to :
* The Norwegian casino guide CasinoPaNett.org
* Promo Vouchers UK
* Free spins
* Binary Options Trading Software - Binaryoptionrobotinfo.com
* Piramindwelt.com - German online casinos guide
* The best casinos no deposit bonus codes 2016
* Alles in 1 vergelijken
* Honest product reviews at Buy Now Signal
* SharePoint Online Plans from Apps4Rent
* Sim only Vergelijken, a Dutch company for comparing sim only
* Coupon Codes from Discontrue.com
for their long-term support of the AWStats development.
You can follow project news on social networks:
For developer who wants to work on AWStats project
You can find current version of development and submit your contributions on official source repository hosted by GitHub:
About my other Open-Source projects:
Dolibarr ERP & CRM, powerfull software for companies, freelances or foundations to manage their activity.
AWBot, an easy to use Perl tool to test a web site.
AWStats, this one.
CVSChangelogBuilder, a friendly CVS ChangeLog Builder with various outputs.
About me and my other Web sites:
I am an Open Source expert since 1995. I started by developping web site, and Open Source softwares. I am still an active Open Source actor. I own a company,created the DoliCloud Open Source Cloud service
and I am responsible of the TecLib agency of Bordeaux, a
major Open Source company in France. You may find more information about me on by personnal Blog: Laurent Destailleur (Me, Eldy)
This is a list of main web site about me and my projects:
NLTechno, my company (1)
TecLib.com, my company (2)
Chiens De Race .com, my first web site (still alive 20 years after)
Cabinet de Rhumatologie, the web site of my wife.
Web site maintained by Laurent Destailleur.